|THE SYNONYMOUS WORDS FOR "LIGHT", ETC. This Is Appendix 130 From The Companion Bible.|
(underived and absolute);
the opposite of darkness.
Used therefore specially
2. phoster = a light, or light-giver, used of star light, and light holders or bearers (Compare Genesis 1:14, 16).
3. photismos = a lighting, illumination, shining.
4. luchnos = a portable hand-lamp fed by oil, burning for a time and then going out. See John 5:35, where luchnos is used of John the Baptist in contrast with No. 1
which is used of Christ
5. luchnia = a lamp stand.
6. lampas = a torch (Judges 7:16, 20) fed with oil from a small vessel (the angeion of Matthew 25:4) constructed for the purpose.
7. phengos = light (No. 1) in its effulgence, used of moonlight, except in Luke 11:33 where it is used of lamp-light. Occurs elsewhere only in Matthew 24:29 and Mark 13:24.