|THE SYNONYMOUS WORDS FOR "WORSHIP". Appendix 137 To The Companion Bible.|
The following six Greek words are rendered "worship" in the Authorized Version:—
1. proskuneo = to prostrate one's self (in reverence), do homage. Used, therefore, of the act of worship.
2. sebomai = to revere, to feel awe. Used, therefore, of the inward feelings (as No. 1 is of the outward act).
3. sebazomai = to be shy, or timid at doing anything. Occurs only in Romans 1:25.
4. latreuo = to serve in official service (for hire, or reward). Used of serving God in the externals of His worship.
5. eusebeo = to be pious or devout towards any one; to act with reverence, respect, and honor.
6. therapeuo = to wait upon, minister to (as a doctor does); hence = to heal; to render voluntary service and attendance. Thus differing from No. 4.