|THE SYNONYMOUS WORDS FOR "WORSHIP". This Is Appendix 137 From The Companion Bible.|
six Greek words are rendered
"worship" in the
1. proskuneo = to prostrate one's self (in reverence), do homage. Used, therefore, of the act of worship.
2. sebomai = to revere, to feel awe. Used, therefore, of the inward feelings (as No. 1 is of the outward act).
3. sebazomai = to be shy, or timid at doing anything. Occurs only in Romans 1:25.
to serve in official service
Used of serving God
in the externals of
5. eusebeo = to be pious or devout towards any one; to act with reverence, respect, and honor.
6. therapeuo = to wait upon, minister to (as a doctor does); hence = to heal; to render voluntary service and attendance. Thus differing from No. 4.