New American Bible
(Official Catholic Bible)
1. Then God delivered all these commandments:
2. "I, the LORD, am your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery.
3. You shall not have other gods besides me.
4. You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of anything in the sky above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth;
5. you shall not bow down before them or worship them. For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their fathers' wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation;
6. but bestowing mercy down to the thousandth generation, on the children of those who love me and keep my commandments.
7. "You shall not take the name of the LORD, your God, in vain. For the LORD will not leave unpunished him who takes his name in vain.
8. "Remember to keep holy the sabbath day.
9. Six days you may labor and do all your work,
10. but the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD, your God. No work may be done then either by you, or your son or daughter, or your male or female slave, or your beast, or by the alien who lives with you.
11. In six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the LORD has blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.
12. "Honor your father and your mother, that you may have a long life in the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you.
13. "You shall not kill.
14. "You shall not commit adultery.
15. "You shall not steal.
16. "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
17. "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male or female slave, nor his ox or ass, nor anything else that belongs to him."
The Ten Commandments Are Found in Exodus 20:1–17
Click on Any of The Links Below And Read
Exodus 20:1–17 in The Different Bible Versions.
|[KJV]||[LAT]||[LSG]||[LUT]||[LXX]||[ NAB ]||[NAS]|
|Back to Short Studies|